1. What is/are your favorite yarn[s] to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I hate anything acrylic. I have decided I LOVE Cherry Tree Hill yarn. I also love Manos de Uruguay [sp?]. Pretty much everything but acrylic for me!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have the Namaste needle cases and I love them. I’m thinking about investing in the interchangable circular needles, because I always seem to need a new needle for this project or that and it gets to be quite expensive for a poor college student!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit for my 19th birthday — about a year and a half ago. My mom got me a group knitting lesson with a friend of ours and I’ve been knitting ever since. It seemed that I took to knitting like a fish takes to water and after only three months of knitting I had completed a fair isle tube top from KnitScene. I would say that I’m an Intermediate/Advanced since I haven’t made a whole sweater that required strange seaming or awful sizing or something of the like. I’ve also never steeked before, YIKES!!!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Doesn’t everyone have an Amazon wish list. I do! [ here ]
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Hmm…I love lavender, rosemary, and vanilla, and then any clean scent — clean cotton, something with the ocean, etc.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I’m not a big sweets person, but I do enjoy Sweedish Fish, Twizzlers and Starburst. Sometimes I will endulge myself in some Sour Patch Kids, but not too often.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I knit, crochet, scrapbook, needlepoint and cross stitch. I’ve tried spinning, but I’ve just had the worst time trying to do it right. I’d love to learn though!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Oh I love CDs. My favorite band is Less Than Jake — I see them whenever they are within a 200 mile radius! Also, anything that’s played on DC101 — a great radio station for the DC Metro area [ for you non DCer’s ]
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I love anything that goes with the ocean — blues and greens. I love brown and any shade like it — beige, tan, khaki, etc. I like pretty much all colors, but there are two that I just can’t stand — yellow and orange. ICK!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my mom and dad. We have an Orange Tabby named Chili Pepper and a Great Dane/Lab mix named Devi. I’ll be moving out next year to the Charlotte, North Carolina area to live with my boyfriend while he goes to UTI and I go to UNC: Charlotte.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love scarves, hats and mittens but I’m not a fan of ponchos. I don’t know how useful they’re going to be in Charlotte though. I haven’t checked how cold it gets in the winter. I should definately look into that!
12. What is/are your favorite item[s] to knit?
I have come to love socks. I love doing lace work — Mystery Stole 3 is one of my favorite patterns. However, I’m not a stole wearer, so it’s going to my mom. I’d love to find some hipper lacework patterns that a 20-year-old would be totally interested in wearing!
13. What are you knitting right now?
I’m working on Mystery Stole 3 and a pair of Monkey socks. I’ll be getting started on a felted bag for my mom very soon.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Oh yes! I love when someone puts love into something and I get it [ makes me feel special and gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside! ]
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I LOVE circular needles. I love addiTurbo, so are those aluminum? I’m not sure what they’re made out of, but those I love. If I have to go with straight needles I use the Brittany ones.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a swift, but no ball winder yet.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About a year, it’s from IK and it’s this cool lace short-sleeved sweater, but I just dropped it a while ago and never went back. It’s been so long I’m sure I couldn’t find where I left off and I’ll have to frog it all and start over anyways. Probably why it’s still sitting there!
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love the 4th of July and Halloween. I love Christmas too, of course!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
No, sadly, I’ve never been a big collector — besides anything knitting related!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Nothing special that I’m dying to get my hands on. I have subscriptions to Interweave Knits and Creative Knitting. I do love Vogue Knitting, knit.1 and KnitScene though and usually try to get those with some spare cash when they come out!
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I’d love to work on shaping and finishing sweaters. Oh, grafting the toes of socks would also be super helpful!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter. My feet are 10 inches long and 9 inches around. Almost square, EEW!
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
Sadly, no. I am on the waiting list though!!!