1. How long have you been knitting or crocheting? How did you learn? or from whom?
Since I was 19. From a class at StitchDC.
2. What was your first felted object, and why did you decide to try felting?
A felted needle case. I wanted to have a place to stick my needles, so I decided to try my hand at felting.
3. What are your favorite colors? Any you hate?
Earthy colors — blues, greens, browns. I hate yellows and oranges.
4. What are your favorite styles\types of bags? (Long straps? Short handles? Handbags? Totes? Embellished? Plain? Include links to patterns or photos if you’d like – give your pal an idea of what you enjoy!)
I love totes with long straps so I can throw them over my shoulder. Anything with a good amount of room makes me a happy girl. I love big bags, so that’s really the main thing, not so much the length of the handles/straps. I’m happy with any kind of decoration. I haven’t gotten to embellished until my mom’s Christmas present this year, but I think it’s going to turn out looking FANTASTIC! I think the French Market Bag [ here! ] off of Knitty is also a great bag.
5. What handbag or bag are you carrying today? Do you use a separate bag to carry your knitting?
I’m currently carrying my favorite Cole Haan bag that I got at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale:
Isn’t it just fantastic?! Anyways, if I’m not carrying that — since it holds the world inside of it, I go for a tote bag to hold the knitting along with my purse.
6. What other things do you enjoy knitting or crocheting?
Socks, lace, and of course any hats, scarves or mittens!
7. What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
I’m a big circular needle fan, and I’m sticking with aluminum right now since it’s all I can afford. If I had my way, I’d be all over the addis I truly love.
8. What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
The French Market bag that I talked about up there! A friend of mine knit it at our circle and I fell in love with it and now I’m dying to make one myself!
9. What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
I’m not sure there is one!
10. What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden?
No, I don’t think there’s anything else that would go under this category that I love to do as much as I love to knit.
11. Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
12. What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to?
I’m not a big chocolate or licorice [ sp? ] fan, so pretty much anything else.
13. Do you have any kiddos? (Furry kind count!)
I have a dog and cat.
14. What kind of project best personifies you and why?
Socks — I’m funky and fun and that’s what I think of when I think of knitting a pair of socks.
15. What is your favorite part of Autumn? You can also share a special Autumn memory if you’d prefer!
The falling leaves and the changing colors =)
16. Tell us 3 things you would do if you won 10 million dollars in the lottery.
Add to my IRA, buy a house, take a fantastic vacation.
Do you like loose tea or bags, or both – something you want to try?
I prefer tea bags.
What is your favorite kind of tea (Brand, flavor, variety, etc)?
I love green tea and herbal teas. I don’t have a particular preference to brand or anything like that though.
Favorite color in regards to tea or one you would like to try? (black, green, red, and white) (keeping in mind that this is how this swap is set up).
I love green tea, like I said in question 2. Black tea is also great!
Would you say you were a tea pot kind of person or just a hot water heater kind?
Tea pot. Definately, tea pot!
What tea accessories would you like but have never purchases for yourself?
A steeper =)
How do you prefer to be pampered? (examples: mani/pedi, bubble bath, yummy treat, etc).
I LOVE getting manicures and pedicures, but I really only get to go when my mom decides she’s going to pay. It’s one of those luxuries that I’m not willing to indulge in right now.
If you were a kind of yarn what would you be and why?
Hmmm…I think I would be Sport Weight Sock Yarn. I like to be funky, fun and easy to get along with and I think that describes that yarn perfectly as well.
If you had to knit/crochet baby booties, a fun fur scarf, or a fair isle sweater, which would you choose and why?
A fair isle sweater because I like things that are a challenge.
What other event would make you skip a tea party? (A garden party? A book club meeting? A yoga class? Opening night for a new action thriller? etc?)
I don’t think anything. I LOVE TEA!
What treat would you consider essential at your tea party? (Sweet? Salty? Scones? Those petite pastry trays with a couple of all sorts of things? Little crust less sandwiches?)
The little cucumber sandwiches with their crusts cut off are SO important!
When buying yarn for a project how do you choose – do you buy the one called for or do you substitute?
I try to get the one that is called for, that way I don’t have to worry about the gauge being off, but if I have to substitute, I will.
What do you carry your knitting/crocheting in when on the go?
A tote bag of some kind.
Favorite movie to watch while knitting/crocheting?
Pretty much any romantic comedy does it for me =) It’s easy to watch and knit at the same time without being totally boring.
Are you a traditional tea cup kind of person or a mug type of person? Do you care if they match?
I like cute coffee mugs for my tea. I want them to be special and have a great meaning behind them. My favorite is a pink one from Disney World with the princesses on it.
Favorite childhood birthday party?
My surprise party at the bowling alley with all of my friends.
Favorite type of scone and jam?
I’m not a big scone person, but I do love some strawberry jam on toast!
If you use candles, what is your favorite scent?
Anything fresh — cotton, ocean, etc.
If you could choose 3 people to have ‘tea’ with, who would they be and why? (famous or not, living or dead).
Jane Austen — she’s my favorite author of all-time, Oprah — she’s just so warm and she seems like such a great person to be able to talk to, Bill Clinton — I want to see what all the fuss is about, is he that great of a public speaker, or does he just have an amazing staff??
You’ve been invited to a tea party, what ‘props’ will you wear (formal or casual)?
I’m really not sure…
Any allergies/preferences you have or are willing to admit to?
I don’t have any allergies, so I guess not! But I would prefer a US partner =)
- Anything we missed that you want your pal to know?
I don’t think so =)
Do you consider yourself a beginning sock knitter, an intermediate, or have you been doing this so long you could probably knit a pair in your sleep?
I think I’m a beginning sock knitter. However, I have totally fallen for knitting socks!
Shoe Size: 7 1/2
Foot circumference: 9 inches
Foot length: 10 inches
What colors do you love?
Blues, greens, browns and pinks
Do you prefer solids or variegated?
Variegated, but I’m not totally biased!
Do you prefer wool, cotton or acrylic yarn?
Cotton! Or superwash wool!
What colors would you never wear?
Orange and yellow =(
What are your favorite brands of yarn?
I LOVE Cherry Tree Hill
Are there any new brands you would like to try?
Nothing special, no =)
Cookie A. Patterns:
Which of her patterns have you already knit?
Which pattern(s) would you like to knit and don’t already own?
I’ve only got Monkey, but I’m sure they’re all great!
Other pertinent information:
Would you be willing to have an international Monkey Pal or do you prefer one in the US?
I’d much rather have a US Monkey Pal!
Do you have any allergies?
Will your knitting be exposed to smoke or animals?
Dog and cat
Are you on Ravelry yet? If you don’t mind having new friends, what is your Ravelry name?
Not on yet! BOO!!!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn[s] to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I hate anything acrylic. I have decided I LOVE Cherry Tree Hill yarn. I also love Manos de Uruguay [sp?]. Pretty much everything but acrylic for me!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have the Namaste needle cases and I love them. I’m thinking about investing in the interchangable circular needles, because I always seem to need a new needle for this project or that and it gets to be quite expensive for a poor college student!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit for my 19th birthday — about a year and a half ago. My mom got me a group knitting lesson with a friend of ours and I’ve been knitting ever since. It seemed that I took to knitting like a fish takes to water and after only three months of knitting I had completed a fair isle tube top from KnitScene. I would say that I’m an Intermediate/Advanced since I haven’t made a whole sweater that required strange seaming or awful sizing or something of the like. I’ve also never steeked before, YIKES!!!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Doesn’t everyone have an Amazon wish list. I do! [ here ]
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Hmm…I love lavender, rosemary, and vanilla, and then any clean scent — clean cotton, something with the ocean, etc.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I’m not a big sweets person, but I do enjoy Sweedish Fish, Twizzlers and Starburst. Sometimes I will endulge myself in some Sour Patch Kids, but not too often.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I knit, crochet, scrapbook, needlepoint and cross stitch. I’ve tried spinning, but I’ve just had the worst time trying to do it right. I’d love to learn though!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Oh I love CDs. My favorite band is Less Than Jake — I see them whenever they are within a 200 mile radius! Also, anything that’s played on DC101 — a great radio station for the DC Metro area [ for you non DCer’s ]
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I love anything that goes with the ocean — blues and greens. I love brown and any shade like it — beige, tan, khaki, etc. I like pretty much all colors, but there are two that I just can’t stand — yellow and orange. ICK!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my mom and dad. We have an Orange Tabby named Chili Pepper and a Great Dane/Lab mix named Devi. I’ll be moving out next year to the Charlotte, North Carolina area to live with my boyfriend while he goes to UTI and I go to UNC: Charlotte.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love scarves, hats and mittens but I’m not a fan of ponchos. I don’t know how useful they’re going to be in Charlotte though. I haven’t checked how cold it gets in the winter. I should definately look into that!
12. What is/are your favorite item[s] to knit?
I have come to love socks. I love doing lace work — Mystery Stole 3 is one of my favorite patterns. However, I’m not a stole wearer, so it’s going to my mom. I’d love to find some hipper lacework patterns that a 20-year-old would be totally interested in wearing!
13. What are you knitting right now?
I’m working on Mystery Stole 3 and a pair of Monkey socks. I’ll be getting started on a felted bag for my mom very soon.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Oh yes! I love when someone puts love into something and I get it [ makes me feel special and gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside! ]
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I LOVE circular needles. I love addiTurbo, so are those aluminum? I’m not sure what they’re made out of, but those I love. If I have to go with straight needles I use the Brittany ones.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a swift, but no ball winder yet.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About a year, it’s from IK and it’s this cool lace short-sleeved sweater, but I just dropped it a while ago and never went back. It’s been so long I’m sure I couldn’t find where I left off and I’ll have to frog it all and start over anyways. Probably why it’s still sitting there!
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love the 4th of July and Halloween. I love Christmas too, of course!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
No, sadly, I’ve never been a big collector — besides anything knitting related!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Nothing special that I’m dying to get my hands on. I have subscriptions to Interweave Knits and Creative Knitting. I do love Vogue Knitting, knit.1 and KnitScene though and usually try to get those with some spare cash when they come out!
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I’d love to work on shaping and finishing sweaters. Oh, grafting the toes of socks would also be super helpful!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter. My feet are 10 inches long and 9 inches around. Almost square, EEW!
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
Sadly, no. I am on the waiting list though!!!