So, I am the worst blogger in history. I have read this a few too many times in my blog and it’s starting to bother me. Maybe I should try to realize that blogging just isn’t for me! It’s getting frustrating knowing that I’m just letting something go like this.
Anyways, I have to let EVERYONE know that I finally recieved the Traveling Teddy. He’s absolutally adorable. I can’t wait to decide what I’m going to put in his bag from his trip to the Nation’s Capital! Well, for starters, here’s the amazing Traveling Teddy:
On to other news — I got my SITM package today and it was just AMAZING. I can’t even begin to tell everyone how amazing my pal is. She deserves the biggest hug in the entire world. Her name is Becky [ her blog ] and she’s just teriffic. I had to put her blog on her because everyone needs to check it out. Well, let me tell you what I got in my package! Well, she made me the socks. They’re the Raindrop Lace Socks by Fiber Trends and she used Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Yarn in teal. She also sent me IK’s Favorite Socks book, Knit Picks Memories yarn in Redwood Forest and the needles to go with them to make a pair of socks! It’s just great. But wait! That’s not all. She also saw that I wanted to try my hand at entrelac so she found a scarf pattern for me as well as Patons SWS and the needles to make that. And the list keeps going! I have a yummy smelling candle as well as a $15 gift card to iTunes!!! It was the best swap I’ve gotten and I love it! Anyways, enough with the words, check out the pictures!
Anyways. That’s all for now! Hope this is a good update for everyone. I think I’m going to post my newly finished project tomorrow! It will also count for my SP11 Contest — yay! Well, as long as I post my first finished project with it. Is it bad that my first finished project was a scarf and my most recent finished project was a scarf too?? I hope not. Doesn’t matter though, right? Anways, hope everyone has a bangin’ weekend and I’ll write tomorrow — hopefully!!!
So, I have gotten addicted to swapping! I’ve joined a lot of new swaps and I can’t wait to get started! I’m doing the Monkey Sock 3 Swap [ check it out! ] and their sign-ups are until August 31st, so go sign up!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn[s] to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I hate anything acrylic. I have decided I LOVE Cherry Tree Hill yarn. I also love Manos de Uruguay [sp?]. Pretty much everything but acrylic for me!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have the Namaste needle cases and I love them. I’m thinking about investing in the interchangable circular needles, because I always seem to need a new needle for this project or that and it gets to be quite expensive for a poor college student!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit for my 19th birthday — about a year and a half ago. My mom got me a group knitting lesson with a friend of ours and I’ve been knitting ever since. It seemed that I took to knitting like a fish takes to water and after only three months of knitting I had completed a fair isle tube top from KnitScene. I would say that I’m an Intermediate/Advanced since I haven’t made a whole sweater that required strange seaming or awful sizing or something of the like. I’ve also never steeked before, YIKES!!!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Doesn’t everyone have an Amazon wish list. I do! [ here ]
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Hmm…I love lavender, rosemary, and vanilla, and then any clean scent — clean cotton, something with the ocean, etc.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I’m not a big sweets person, but I do enjoy Sweedish Fish, Twizzlers and Starburst. Sometimes I will endulge myself in some Sour Patch Kids, but not too often.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I knit, crochet, scrapbook, needlepoint and cross stitch. I’ve tried spinning, but I’ve just had the worst time trying to do it right. I’d love to learn though!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Oh I love CDs. My favorite band is Less Than Jake — I see them whenever they are within a 200 mile radius! Also, anything that’s played on DC101 — a great radio station for the DC Metro area [ for you non DCer’s ]
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I love anything that goes with the ocean — blues and greens. I love brown and any shade like it — beige, tan, khaki, etc. I like pretty much all colors, but there are two that I just can’t stand — yellow and orange. ICK!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my mom and dad. We have an Orange Tabby named Chili Pepper and a Great Dane/Lab mix named Devi. I’ll be moving out next year to the Charlotte, North Carolina area to live with my boyfriend while he goes to UTI and I go to UNC: Charlotte.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love scarves, hats and mittens but I’m not a fan of ponchos. I don’t know how useful they’re going to be in Charlotte though. I haven’t checked how cold it gets in the winter. I should definately look into that!
12. What is/are your favorite item[s] to knit?
I have come to love socks. I love doing lace work — Mystery Stole 3 is one of my favorite patterns. However, I’m not a stole wearer, so it’s going to my mom. I’d love to find some hipper lacework patterns that a 20-year-old would be totally interested in wearing!
13. What are you knitting right now?
I’m working on Mystery Stole 3 and a pair of Monkey socks. I’ll be getting started on a felted bag for my mom very soon.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Oh yes! I love when someone puts love into something and I get it [ makes me feel special and gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside! ]
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I LOVE circular needles. I love addiTurbo, so are those aluminum? I’m not sure what they’re made out of, but those I love. If I have to go with straight needles I use the Brittany ones.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a swift, but no ball winder yet.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About a year, it’s from IK and it’s this cool lace short-sleeved sweater, but I just dropped it a while ago and never went back. It’s been so long I’m sure I couldn’t find where I left off and I’ll have to frog it all and start over anyways. Probably why it’s still sitting there!
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love the 4th of July and Halloween. I love Christmas too, of course!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
No, sadly, I’ve never been a big collector — besides anything knitting related!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Nothing special that I’m dying to get my hands on. I have subscriptions to Interweave Knits and Creative Knitting. I do love Vogue Knitting, knit.1 and KnitScene though and usually try to get those with some spare cash when they come out!
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I’d love to work on shaping and finishing sweaters. Oh, grafting the toes of socks would also be super helpful!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter. My feet are 10 inches long and 9 inches around. Almost square, EEW!
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
Sadly, no. I am on the waiting list though!!!
I have SO many pictures to show everyone! First, I’ll show my new sock for my SITM Pal. I think these are going MUCH better than the socks that I had started out making. I’m making the Monkey socks by Cookie.
I’m also working on Norberta on Knitty for my boyfriend. I was hoping to be able to get it to him tomorrow, but it’s not going to happen. I do, however, think it’s totally adorable and I know he’s going to love it!
Everyone and their mother has been working on the Mystery Stole 3. I am one of those many many people. I just finished Clue 3. It’s apparently 1/3 of the way done, and I absolutally love it!
I did my color swap today with Wendy and she gave me this great yarn and the pattern to make some dish cloths. I did the one that has “Born To Knit” written on it. I know you probably can’t see it too well, but it’s there and I think it’s adorable and it went so fast. I did it just tonight! It took maybe two hours, with breaks and while watching television. I was VERY impressed.
She also made me a pair of Monkey socks. She read on my blog that I hate DPNs so she decided to make me a pair of socks. I absolutally love them and it confirms that my SITM pal is going to LOVE the ones I make her!
Well, that’s all I’ve got for right now. I just wanted to get all of these pictures up here! Hope everyone has a good weekend. I’m so excited for this weekend. It’s officially my anniversary =) I’ll try to post pictures from the concert/trip. OH! That reminds me to charge my camera. I’ve got to get on that one!
Okay, just posting my Hogwarts Sock Swap 2 Questionnaire!
1. What Hogwarts house have you been sorted into?
2. Shoe size?
– 71/2 – 8
3. Foot length?
– 10 inches
4. Foot Circumference?
– 9 inches
5. List your three favorite double-point needle brands, including size and length:
– Lantern Moon Rosewood, Size 2, 7″
– Lantern Moon Rosewood, Size 1, 7″
– Lantern Moon Rosewood, Size 3, 7″
6. Would you like to try a brand new needle? If so, which brand? Size? Length?
– Lantern Moon Ebony, Size 2, 7″
7. If you are a RAVENCLAW do you prefer the colors in the film or the book? Do you have a strong preference?
– I prefer the colors in the book, but it’s not a major preference or anything.
8. Allergies? Do you have any? Will your knitting be exposed to smoking or animals?
– I’m not allergic to anything, but I do have a dog and cat, but they will NOT be rolling around in my sock yarn or anything =)
9. Are you an international participant [ outside US ]? Are you willing to have an international Hogwarts Sock Pal?
– I’m not an international participant, but I don’t mind one, but I’d prefer a US Sock Pal!
Yes, I really do think that it’s become possible to “sweat your brains out.” It was so fucking hot today that I just wanted to lounge around in a sports bra and some Soffe shorts and not leave the house all day. Alas, staying over at the boyfriend’s house last night made that next to impossible since I had to get up and go back to my own house today — funny thing is, here I am back at his place writing up this post while he sleeps. Anyways, I had to get out of the nice air-conditioning to go to my sweltering black Volvo to make the trek back to my own abode — which is only about 10 minutes away, but STILL!
Anyways, I have ripped out my sock knitting because I’ve just become so infuriated with it! I’m not quite sure what to do with myself. I sat down to start knitting some more tonight, but I ripped out about an inch worth of work about 4 times and now I’m trying a new little cable-ish number, hoping that something may go right with this one. I have to post my deepest apologies to my SITM swap partner because I’m not quite sure what will come of my first ever pair of socks. I’m quite the perfectionist, but this is just crazy. I can’t seem to keep the pattern going properly and I’m picking up and dropping stitches all over the place, which is just NOT something I do, EVER! Anyways, I’ll persevere and get these stinking things done so I won’t be letting down my swap buddy [ who must still remain secret because the swap isn’t over yet, you sillies! ].
I hope that someone has heard of the band Less Than Jake [ who will now forever be referred to as LTJ ]. I’m not one for being able to classify types of music, so I’ll just go with a Punky/Alternative type band. I love them! I’m currently counting down the days until Victor and I will be heading down to Richmond to see their show at Toad’s Place [ great name, right? ]. I just saw them not too long ago at the 9:30 Club [ in Washington, DC for those who aren’t in the know ] and it’s just GREAT that I’ll be able to see them again so soon [ next Saturday, YAY! ].
Anyways, I wanted to stick a post up here, even if it wasn’t about knitting. I feel that with the heat wave going on right now, thinking about knitting anything will put me into a nice sweat. Hope everyone is keeping themselves cool! Take care =)
So, a few days ago I got an e-mail from my July Color Swap Partner [ Wendy ] and I just now figured out how to post the little surprise I got when I opened it! Well, I didn’t really find out, I just cheated and took it off of her blog =) Anyways, here it is:
But, other than that, there’s not too much to update anyone on! Well, actually, I take that back! Here is a picture of the socks that I’m making for my Sock It To Me Swap Partner [ I’d post her blog, but it’s a SECRET swap! =) ]:
Yes, I did try it on my foot, but only because it’s the only way to do it justice, not that you can really do it enough justice seeing it online and not seeing the cute little pattern running through it in circles! I got the pattern from PepperKnit.com [ check out the pattern! ] and I think it’s just fantastic! It’s relatively easy for me since I’m a beginning sock knitter. I’ve made a few mistakes, but I don’t think they’re anything that is totally obvious or makes the sock look ugly.
Okay, that’s all for today. I’ll probably post again today, or early tomorrow, but goodbye for now =)
1. What are your foot measurements? (Please give shoe size, length and circumference.)
Size: 7.5 – 8, Length: 10 in., Circumference: 9 in.
2. How long have you been knitting? How would you rate your experience? (Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced.)
About a year and a half. I would say I’m in between Intermediate and Advanced.
3. What is your favorite color? Your least favorite color?
My favorite color would have to be green and my least favorite would have to be yellow.
4. Do you have a favorite fiber? What type?
Nothing that I can pick out in particular, but I really do dislike most acrylic yarns.
5. Do you have any allergies to certain fibers?
6. Do you have an Amazon, or other type of, wishlist? (If so, provide the link.)
Amazon Wish List
7. What techniques, if any, would you like to learn?
I would love to learn how to do Entrelac Lace and get better at doing Intarsia.
8. Do you have a sweet tooth? What are your favorite snacks?
I have a semi-sweet tooth. I love Starburst, Twizzlers, Ferrer Roche and Tootsie Rolls.
9. What is your family situation? (Children, Husband, Pets…etc.)
I have a boyfriend, dog (Great Dane/Lab mix named Devi) and a cat (Orange Tabby Cat named Chili Pepper)
10. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Metal, plastic or wood?
I like both of them — metal circular and wooden straight.
11. Besides socks, what are your favorite items to knit?
Scarves, mittens and bags.
12. Is there a pattern, (sock or otherwise), that you are dying to try?
None in particular.
13. Do you like to read? What are you reading currently?
I love to read — pretty much anything by Joci Picoult, but right now I’m not reading anything.
14. Do you collect music? (On an iPod or MP3 player.)
On an iPod.
15. What kind of music do you listen to?
Less Than Jake or anything country.
16. Is there anything you collect?
17. What are your hobbies, aside from knitting?
Sailing and shopping.
18. Are you participating in any other swaps or knit alongs?
Prayer Shawl Swap, Secret Swap 11 and the Football Along.
19. Do you have a favorite scent?
Vanilla and Roses.
20. When is your birthday? (You don’t have to add the year if you don’t want to, LOL.)
January 27th, 1987.
So, I just wanted everyone to know that I’ve made my very first Knit-A-Long [ here ], and I’d love if everyone would come and join if you’d like to!
Other than that, I’ve joined a bunch of swaps that I’m VERY excited about and can’t wait to get started. They are going to be so much fun I just wish they’d all start right now! lol =)
I think that’s all I’ve got for the night. Hope everyone is having a great week. I’ll be on pretty soon to start posting about my knit-a-longs and swaps.
Keep the Needles Moving,